It's super affordable, and the customization options are almost endless. You can opt for either bench or bucket seats, or even upcycle a few seats from the junkyard for a cushier ride.
You can make this basic sedan style, make a smaller smart car stye, or even extend the back to make a mini-van with plenty of room to grow!
We have some great optional features like a sunroof, third row seating, and some pretty sweet under-carriage lighting. Get ready for the ride of your life!
You can even reduce your carbon footprint with a simple DIY solar panel!
Here's all you need to get started:
- 68 - 2x4s @12' long
- 2 sheets of plexiglass @ 4' x 8'
- 4 - tires P225/70R15 (or adjust plans for your junkyard find)
- 1 - sedan chasis & powertrain (our plans are based on a Buick LeSabre but check your junkyard, find the best deal, and adjust the plans accordingly)
- 1 - steering wheel
- 1 - car battery
- optional solar panels (make your own or buy one)
- Any additional features you would like to include - air conditioning, radio, headlights (required for nighttime driving), coffee pot, keyless entry, etc.
- Wood glue, screws, wood filler, sandpaper, finishing supplies
Ready to get started?
There's one more thing we need to mention first.... April Fools.
Check out some more practical uses for 2x4s in our series 31 Days of 2x4 Projects!
Like us on Facebook for more (real) DIY projects!